For this activity I chose the first picture:
Image Attribution: Day and Night, 1938, by MC Escher. Images courtesy of Collection Gemeentemuseum Den Haag/the MC Escher Company.
When I look at this picture, I see half of the picture as day, the other half as night. On the day side, (left) black geese/ducks are flying, which is just like the right side (night) except it's opposite colours. The paddocks below the birds are slowly transforming into the birds. This image is symmetrical.
Kia ora Jess,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your observations of this mind-blowing painting. I like how you have noticed that the paddocks are slowly transforming into birds. I think this painting is pretty clever.
When I look at the left side, everything feels bright and hopeful. Whereas the right side feels gloomy and dark. Even though the image is symmetrical, it is interesting how each side feels different.
Do you like this kind of painting? The artist M.C. Escher was very good at creating images that mirror each other. If you are interested, here is a link to my favourite drawing of his - http://avalonlibrary.org/adults/drawing-hands/
Well done on this blog post, keep it up!
Beren
:)